15 international players from 12 countries highlight global reach of NBA All-Star 2022
CLEVELAND – Fifteen international players from 12 countries, including six international All-Stars and a record number of four international All-Star Game starters, will participate in NBA All Star 2022 in Cleveland from Friday, February 18 to Sunday, February 20. NBA All-Star 2022 will reach fans in 215 countries and territories in a record 60 languages on their TVs, computers, cell phones and tablets.
Below are international highlights from this year’s Global Basketball Celebration:
- The 71st The NBA All-Star Game, which kicks off Sunday, Feb. 20 at 8 p.m. ET on TNT, will feature six international All-Stars and a record four international starters. Giannis Antetokounmpo (Milwaukee Bucks; Greece; Nigeria links) and Nikola Jokić (Denver Nuggets; Serbia) will start for Team LeBron, while Joel Embiid (Philadelphia 76ers; Cameroon) and Andrew Wiggins (Golden State Warriors; Canada) will start for the Durant team. They are joined by Team LeBron reserve Luka Dončić (Dallas Mavericks; Slovenia) and Team Durant reserve Rudy Gobert (Utah Jazz; France).
- Clorox Rising Stars, which takes place Friday, February 18 at 9 p.m. ET on TNT, will feature a new format of four teams of seven players competing in a three-game mini-tournament, with each game played to an end goal. Goal. The 28-man squad includes six international players: Precious Achiuwa (Toronto Raptors; Nigeria), Chris Duarte (Indiana Pacers; Dominican Republic), Josh Giddey (Oklahoma City Thunder; Australia), Alperen Şengün (Houston Rockets; Turkey), Franz Wagner (Orlando Magic; Germany) and Dyson Daniels (NBA G League Ignite; Australia).
- With their participation in Clorox Rising Stars, Giddey and Daniels, who were teammates at the NBA Global Academy in Canberra, Australia from 2019 to 2020, become the first NBA Academy alumni to compete in NBA All-Star.
- The taco bell® Skills Challenge, part of State Farm All-Star Saturday night Feb. 19 at 8 p.m. ET on TNT, will also feature a new format in which three teams of three players compete in a four-round competition that tests shooting, passing and dribbling. One of the teams is made up of three Antetokounmpo brothers: Giannis and Thanasis Antetokounmpo (Bucks; Greece; Nigeria ties) and Alex Antetokounmpo (NBA G League’s Raptors 905; Greece; Nigeria ties).
- Eight players competing in the 2022 NBA All-Star are from or have ties to Africa: Achiuwa, the three Antetokounmpo brothers, Desmond Bane (Memphis Grizzlies; Nigeria ties), Ayo Dosunmu (Chicago Bulls; Nigeria ties ), Embiid and Isaac Okoro (Cleveland Cavaliers; Nigeria links).
- New this year, the NBA G League’s top young players, including G League Ignite’s Daniels and Fanbo Zeng (China), will be on display in the first NBA G League Next Gem game, which will feature the G League Ignite taking on the charging from Cleveland on Sunday, February 20 at 2 p.m. ET on NBA TV, NBA TV International and in China on Tencent and MIGU.
- A total of 72 international broadcast partners will broadcast NBA All-Star 2022. Six international television and radio networks – from France, Greece, Latin America, Mongolia, Poland and Spain – will provide live commentary on location from Cleveland, and three television networks – from India, the Netherlands and Norway – will broadcast NBA All-Star remotely for the first time.
- Fans outside of North America will also be able to watch Clorox Rising Stars, State Farm All-Star Saturday Night and the NBA All-Star Game live and on-demand via NBA League Pass via watch.NBA.com and the NBA app.
- Fans around the world will be able to vote for the Ruffles NBA All-Star Celebrity Game, Clorox Rising Stars and NBA All-Star Game MVPs via NBA.com, the NBA app and Twitter.
- On Sunday, February 20 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. ET, fans around the world can watch a live stream of All-Star Game players and coaches hosting media availability on mediaavail.nba.com.
CELEBRITIES & INFLUENCERS
- The Ruffles NBA All-Star Celebrity Game, which kicks off Friday, Feb. 18 at 7 p.m. ET on ESPN, will feature Puerto Rican rapper and singer Anuel AA; Indian-American singer/songwriter Anjali Ranadivé; Bollywood superstar Ranveer Singh; 2020 Olympic high jump gold medalist Gianmarco Tamberi of Italy; and Cleveland Cavaliers Legend and Brazil native Anderson Varejão.
- Singh, who in September was named NBA Brand Ambassador for India, will be one of more than two dozen influencers at NBA All-Star 2022, where he will post behind-the-scenes social media content and will have the opportunity to meet NBA players. and legends. Singh will also become the second Bollywood star to star in the Celebrity Game.
- Singh leads a group of international influencers from Argentina, France, India, Japan, Philippines, Puerto Rico, Senegal, South Africa, Spain and the United Kingdom. United who will experience NBA All-Star 2022 in person, receiving exclusive access to weekend events and creating All-Star themed content for fans in their home markets.
ALL-STAR CELEBRATIONS ABROAD
In addition to the events in Cleveland, fans around the world will be able to share in the excitement of NBA All-Star 2022 through a variety of international activations and programs:
- In Canada, the “NBA 75and Shop,” a digital retail experience that pays homage to the players and moments that shaped the growth of basketball across the country, includes a minifigure featuring eight-time All-Star and Raptors legend Vince Carter from the 2000 Contest Slam Dunk and a “block of ice” commemorating the 2016 Slam Dunk contest in Toronto, the first NBA All-Star held outside the United States
- On February 18, Mexican artist Alee Baes releases exclusive All-Star themed merchandise and offers 16 special-edition Wilson basketballs in conjunction with the NBA at the league’s official Mexico retail outlet, NBA Tienda at Polanco . The collection will also be available on nbatienda.com, the league’s official online destination in the country. Additionally, Cavaliers legend Anderson Varejão is filming a number of content on location in Cleveland that will be shared on NBA social media platforms in his native Brazil.
- From February 7-21, Cosmote Sport, the league’s broadcast partner in Greece, is running a 24/7 NBA pop-up channel featuring live NBA All-Star events, original programming, classic games , highlights and more. Eleven Sport and beIN SPORTS, the league’s broadcast partners in Belgium and France, respectively, are hosting competitions in which the winners will attend All-Star 2022. Additionally, NBA Fan Clubs in Greece and Spain are running raffles. raffle and NBA All-Star quizzes. with merchandise giveaways and special prizes.
- The league’s social media platforms in Australia, Japan and the Philippines will produce All-Star themed programming to promote the weekend’s events. The Dime, a recap show on the NBA Australia Facebook page, will feature Australian entrants from rising stars Josh Giddey and Dyson Daniels. NBA Zoom-In, a show on NBA Japan’s TikTok channel hosted by Japanese influencer Rikuto, will preview and recap highlights from the weekend. Republika Huddle, the league’s social media talk show in the Philippines, will revisit previous editions of NBA All-Star and provide predictions for this year’s milestones.